Winding fast forward in the story of Maria Dolens, it should be noted that Don Rossaro gave his usual radio address before the ringing of the Bell for the last time on 2 November 1951. He died on 4 January 1952 at the age of 68, after an illness that lasted several months; he left his valuable moral legacy and a profound mark on the city of Rovereto, which honoured him with a solemn funeral. His diary ends on 14 November 1951 with news of the death of Prince Chigi Albani della Rovere, Grand Master of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. An entry shrouded in deep sadness, and almost an omen. With this final, sad news, Don Rossaro ended his writings in the Albo della Campana, perhaps foreseeing his imminent departure from this world, which would in fact occur soon afterwards. Some months later, in May 1952, his book dedicated to the Bell was published posthumously by Edizioni Ciarrocca in Milan.

The Albo Storico della Campana dei Caduti - Don Rossaro's diary, which has been our guide thus far - is the portrait, sometimes faithful, other times retouched, of a long human and historical journey, which saw him committed to a mission that was truly divine. What emerges from the narrative is the fact that the Bell of the Fallen always remained his sole purpose in life, above everything and everyone else; for the sake of the Bell, Don Rossaro struggled and endured it all. In the light of today's changed times (both political and social), all that he did, all the decisions he took, may even sometimes be judged harshly, but his actions were never for his own ends, but rather solely and exclusively to further his "creation": the Bell of the Fallen.


THE STORY CONTINUES

As Don Rossaro's successor as Regent of the Opera Campana dei Caduti, the Municipality of Rovereto appointed Father Renato Eusebio Jori, a Capuchin monk and military chaplain at the Legion of the Finance Police in Trento, who took up the post on 15 May 1953.

In the meantime, because of the broken clapper, the Bell had been silent for some time, and on 5 August 1953, just three months after his appointment, the new Regent had the pleasure of blessing the new clapper and thus giving the "holy bronze" back its voice. The old and exquisitely decorated clapper was definitively placed in the Bell room, where it had been stored during the recasting of the Bell. On 4 November 1953 the Bell’s ringing was once again broadcast on the radio, on RAI's nationwide programme (which replaced the EIAR after the war); this was followed by a moving message from Father Jori, for the first time replacing Don Rossaro's familiar voice.